Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Question of Reflection number 1!

Mircea Eliade was very right when she said that religion "has not vanished without a trace." There are countles examples of ancient religious locations, artifacts, writings that archeologists have dug up, allowing anthropologists a chance to go 'back in time' and understand a culture better and explore its methods of worship. One good example is Stonehenge in England that clearly shows that the civilization that lived there at the time practiced some form of religion. As for my ancestors, they probably worshiped some viking god such as Thor or Odin. Yet somewhere way back in my family's history they decided to become Lutheran, and thus, I too became Lutheran. I wouldn't necessarily say that being Lutheran caused me to become a different person, but it has definately played a rather large role in my life in creating memorable experiences, and determining which morals I believe in. Although I learned most most of the family mores and morales from my parents, those were all based on Lutheran beliefs established a long time ago that became embedded in family traditions. The fact that I was baptized and confirmed does not necesarily mean that the christian values and morals magically floated into my head, but it is due to my primarily christian based upbringing that I believe and practice the morals that I have known for as long as i can remember. That is how religion has influenced my personal history.

No comments:

Post a Comment